Windows Defender is a built-in anti-spyware protector launched by Microsoft. However, if you want to install different anti-virus software, then you have to disable the Windows Defender so that conflicts between the two programs can be avoided. But when you disable the Windows Defender, your trial or subscription service ends, and it doesn’t automatically re-enable. You have to do enable it yourself.
First of all, you have to make sure that your Windows Defender is off. Look at the notifications area on the taskbar (on the left side of the time and date display towards the end). See if you find an icon that resembles a castle wall. Also, check in the hidden items. If you find the icon and it does not have a cross beside it, it means that the Defender is running. However, if you don’t find the icon or there is a cross beside it, it means that the Defender is not running.
To turn on Windows Defender, follow these steps:
- First of all click on the Start menu or on the Start screen (Windows 10).
- Type Defender into the search bar or press the Windows key and Q key to launch the search bar and then type Defender into the space.
- Click on Windows Defender in the search results to launch the program.
However, if clicking on Windows Defender takes you straight to the program’s dashboard skip a few steps and continue from step 10.
- After clicking, you may see a message on your screen that says: this application has been turned off and isn’t monitoring your computer. Then go to the Start menu or on the Start screen (windows 10) again.
- Type in Action center in the search space and press Enter.
- When the Action Center opens, go to the Security tab.
- In the security, tab sees Spyware and unwanted software protection is being managed by which program.
- Uninstall the current suite that is managing the Spyware and unwanted software protection by Control Panel’s Programs menu.
- Or (if you’re on windows 10), uninstall the program by opening Control Panel, going to System and Security and then Security and Maintenance. Then uninstall the current suite located under the Spyware and unwanted software protection heading.
- Then go to the Start menu again and search for Defender. You will see a message on your screen that says: Click here to turn it on. Click the link to enable the Windows Defender.
- You will be taken to the Windows Defender dashboard, as your computer isn’t already protected.
- Start by updating the protection software of the Windows Defender, as it may be well out of date. Click on the Updates button in the Defender to do that.
- Then follow the on-screen instructions to install the latest updates for the Windows Defender.
- When the process is complete, you will see a comforting green bar on your screen. That green bar will tell you that Windows Defender has been fully updated. Windows Defender will then become ready to protect your computer.